Thursday, July 30, 2009

Geneology

My Grandma called me this early afternoon. It was so nice to talk to her. I don't get to much. She is so cute....Her Birthday was on the 19th of June. I thought I would do what any Grandma loves, and write her a letter. I hadn't heard anything back about is, and didn't really think much about it either. Until today. She said, "Becky?" as I answered the phone. And I said, "Grandma!"
"You recognize my voice!" She replied.
Well of course she comes up on my caller ID. But I wasn't gonna tell her that. And even if it didn't, I would definitely recognize her voice.
So any how, she's telling me that she's so sentimental. She's been trying to write me back, but every time she sits down to do so, she cries. So of course as she's telling me this she's crying.....I Love my Grandma! :)
If you know my Grandma, then you know she's all about the genealogy. And well she's written two books about a couple of our ancestors, and she's found a new person to write about. You can hardly walk into a room with her in it without hearing about someone new she's discovered. And while I was younger, it was kinda boring I guess. I did have a bit of interest in Genealogy, but you know how teenagers are.....What does Bill Cosby call it....Brain Damage!
So I've always known that someday, I would end up with my parents Genealogy work. And seriously....That's Alot!!!! I will need an entire room to dedicate just to Genealogy. I was listening to my Grandma talk, and realized, I am so thankful for her and all of her work she has done. She has a few lines that date all the way back to Adam and Eve! And she's discovered another one she's pretty sure does the same. I just thought how overwhelming it would be for me to have to do ALL that work! But really, because of what she, my Grandpa, and my Nana have done.....well it makes my life easier. And I know that my parents continue to add to the records....and well if they keep going maybe I won't have any work to do ;) Kidding of course!!!
If there is one thing I will always remember about my Grandmother is a story of her and her mother. Of how one of the last things her mother told her is, "Doris, we sure will know our people." And you know, she really does know her people. And well I suppose what I am saying here is I want to know my people! So my grandma and I have set out to keep in touch and work with each other to do so. She understands that there is so much technology these days. But she doesn't know how it all works. So she's thought it would be a great idea for me to "Blog" about it. And try to come up with ways to get the "youth" of today in our family interested in our ancestors. Sure, why not?!
So Dad....you better get on it with that Gustafson Blog! :) That way I can learn as much as I can about your side of the family. Cause you know there will be no competition of information from Grandma :)
"There are millions across the world who are working on family history records. Why? Why are they doing it? I believe it is because they have been touched by the spirit of this work, a thing which we call the spirit of Elijah. It is a turning of the hearts of the children to their fathers. Most of them do not understand any real purpose in this, other than perhaps a strong and motivating curiosity.
There has to be a purpose in this tremendous expenditure of time and money. That purpose, of which we bear solemn witness, is to identify the generations of the dead so that ordinances may be performed in their behalf for their eternal and everlasting blessing and progress."
Gordon B. Hinckley

3 comments:

RickG said...

Funny I read this tonite. I was just pondering my "Gustafson" blog at work tonite, coming up with ideas of what to put on there next.
So, stay tuned.......

Wendell and Carole said...

That inspired me Becky, to want to work on geneology. I think you need to be retired tho. I hope you are surviving the heat. It is a lot more miserable with the humidity. BUT, I still love Washington.....

BeckyB said...

I know it was funny that Grandma should call me...I was just thinking about heading to the church here soon and get signed up for some classes. And the heat...well it's finally 77 degrees and noon! We got to sleep in our own bed last night instead of the living room floor and couch!