Wednesday, July 22, 2009

My Nana

I was so young when she died.....but I remember the exact moment I found out. It was late at night and my mom was at the grocery store, my dad at work. The phone rang....it was Lane calling to get a hold of my dad. Because Nana was in the hospital. I told Lane I would call my dad as soon as possible, and he told me it was an emergency and to get him there quickly. I reached for my mom's, older than me, address book to look up dad's work number. I was shaking like a leaf, I was so nervous to call my dad's work because I never had before. I'm not even sure how the conversation went, it was all a blur. Mom comes walking through the door with some groceries and asked if Vern could help her. That's when I chimed in..."Dad's on his way home, Uncle Lane called and said Nana is in the hospital and it's an emergency. I think my mom just about lost the groceries at this point. She instantly started packing us kids for an overnighter.
It seemed like it was only five minutes later and dad was walking through the door. He didn't say much. He was very serious. Us kids didn't ask any questions, we loaded up in the car and were at Lane and Cathy's house in a matter of minutes. Kriste opened the door and off were mom and dad to the hospital.
That night all of us cousins played. We were singing Karaoke to Ace of Base and playing video games. It was alot of fun really. I think we stayed up until three in the morning. Britt, Eric, Vicky, and myself all fell asleep on the floor in the basement. I'm not sure where Karl and Vern ended up, probably in the boy's room. All of a sudden I was awakened by a tap on my shoulder, it was Vicky. She said, "Becky, Nana died last night." We just sat there silent for a few moments.
Of course it really hadn't set in. We just kinda kept playing as if nothing really happened. Then Mom and Dad walk through the door. I walked up to my parents and lost it. I just remember holding my Dad's waist and bawling. I don't think I could stop for a while. That's, I think, when it hit everyone else.
I missed about two weeks of school because I couldn't control my emotions. I had spent so much of my young childhood looking up to this woman, and she was dead. I thought she was so neat, I tried to be just like her. I would watch how she ate, how she cleaned, and how she laughed. I remember her saying "Oh Hell" and "Oh Hal".....it was cute. How every time she would laugh, she's throw her had back and and slap her knee. I still remember the smell of the lotion she put on every time she would walk out of the bathroom.
I remember the warm feeling that came over me at her funeral. It felt like a warm hug in the middle of a cold, windy, wet, winter day. It felt like a hug only Nana could give. I still have a hard time listening to "How Great Thou Art". I tear up most anytime I hear it. And when it's sang in church....forget it....I lose it.
And of course, as I'm writing this I'm a little teary. But I still feel really close to my Nana. I still dream about her. And I think of her often. As I do all of my grandparents. I suppose I'm sharing this because I feel like I need to. I feel like she deserves to be remembered. And I love her so much!

8 comments:

Miriam said...

Wow, thanks for writing that post. I too loved Carol and would watch everything she did. She always looked so neat and pretty and I loved her deep rich voice. I loved to listen to my mom and her talk and she was a great cook. I didn't know you called her Nana. Now for sure, I've got to be "Nana" too.

BeckyB said...

I want to be called "Nana" too when I get there!

Vern Gustafson said...

Wow...reading that made me tear up..and that's not an easy task to do as you know. I miss her too.

bev said...

Oh that was so nice. Thank you. Got me a bit teary eyed. Let me tell you what I remember; Aunt Carol had the most beautiful hands (I'm a hand person). Long gracious fingers and always perfectly shaped nails. I remember that she always carried a nail file with her,and used it often. I tried doing that for awhile (I wanted to be just like her as a youngster). But I was only a preteen and it was really just too much trouble after awhile ha, ha. She was always perfectly dressed and coifed (did I spell that correctly?)... Never a hair out of place. She wore lovely clothes. Always glamorous and spphisticated to me. Her house was spotless and always in order. And btw, hey Vern.... Good to hear from you. What else will it take???

RickG said...

Not sure how to respond to this. It was a time I don't think about anymore. I think losing that first parent sucks the most.
Gads. I never thought about my mom in the light you all speak about. But hey, I'm just a guy!

BeckyB said...

Bev...So funny how you remember perfect hands...so do I...I also remember eating bazaar foods(like sprouts), just so I could eat what she would eat. Vern....Reading your message made me cry...and that's easy to do I know, but I think it's just cause you're my brother...I'm a little sentimental when it comes to you ;). Dad, I'm sure there are things that I saw that you didn't, as there were things you saw that I didn't. But you should know that your mother was an amazing person. And you carry that same amazement in my eyes.

Wendell and Carole said...

Can I please put my 2 cent's in?? Like all of you, Aunt Carole reminded me of a movie star. (Audrey Hepburn, to be exact) Audrey Hepburn was my all time favorite in my very young teen years, and Carole reminded me so much of her. There is not a better name for a Grandma, than Nana. My Nana (Emma) was the bestest Nana, and I LOVE my grandkids calling me Nana. Remindes me of the greatest Grandma, I ever had......

BeckyB said...

Carole....That is super sweet and so perfect. A movie star!